Ruck's Rodeo

Mrs. Ruck's Second Grade Class


Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Scoot!

Let's face it.  We all need to get up and move around to stay focused.  My kids need it and I certainly do too.  This simple activity was one of my absolute favorites this year.  Hence the title, it was called Scoot.  The best thing about Scoot is that you teach the steps one time and for the remainder of the year you can use Scoot to review or practice ANY subject.  That's right...supa dupa EASY.  I originally found this gem on Pinterest and used it in this specific lesson to review subtraction.  Here are the simple rules of Scoot:

Teacher:
1. Cut out cards and place one on each desk in numerical order
2. Model, Model, Model how the students will move from desk to desk
3. Call out "SCOOT!" after a few minutes (sufficient time for students to complete problem and find a solution)

Students:
1. Grab a clipboard, blank scoot board, and pencil (with an eraser of course!)
2. Stand behind a desk with a card
3. Solve the problem on the card
4. Find the corresponding number on their scoot board and record answer
5. Move to the next numbered desk when teacher calls out "SCOOT!"

*Sidenote: You'll see my students using dry erase boards to solve their subtraction in the picture below.  However, in the past I have allowed them to simply write their problem directly on the desk with a dry erase marker.  We like to change things up in our classroom.*

The possibilities are endless my friends! I have used Scoot to review place value, comparing numbers, rhyming words, finding the missing digraph, vocabulary, and parts of speech.  Surprisingly, the hardest part was figuring out how to scoot to the next numbered desk.  My silly kiddos had to practice just the movement several times before we actually started.  They loved every second though.  I even heard some cuties pies say, "This is the best day everrrr!"  Hey I'll take that any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment